View Single Post
Cat Herder 12:28 PM 09-14-2018
Originally Posted by Enrico:
Well. Private schools are controlled by Contract Law. When our son started there we signed a contract and they admitted in an official email that they are in violation of this contract. Usually when people are in breach of a contract there is a liability of some kind or another: one could sue for damages. For instance, had they respected the contract we would have been able to move our child to another school avoiding unnecessary hardship on him. He didn't need to know that he had been expelled.

I'm asking whether this is a complete misreading of the legal situation and whether the school didn't actually breach any contract.
Typically breach of contract means you are entitled to your deposit back. It should be outlined in your contract. I would have refunded your deposit and any tuition overpayment to date.

I disagree that your son did not need to know he was expelled. There are consequences in life, it would be my parenting goal to make him understand those and how to avoid such things going forward in life. I don't see that as a damage, I see that as a parenting opportunity.

What other damages do you feel you incurred?