View Single Post
Leigh 10:07 AM 06-18-2019
When it is for non-payment, I absolutely let them know the reason. EVERY time that I had ever let a parent start without a deposit, they screwed me over on payment. That was how I learned that if they couldn't pay the final 2 weeks' (I give them up to 8 weeks to pay that) and the first week upfront, they can't afford daycare.

My last term was about a year ago, a 4 year old girl who swore at me, threw toys at my head, hit me, destroyed everything in sight and terrorized the other kids. I told her mom at pickup the first day how awful things went, and she sent someone else to pick up for the next 4 days. on day 5, I sent Mom a text telling her that her demon couldn't return and cited her behaviors. I included resources for finding help for the child, and she flipped out about it. The child was in desperate need of help-she could not manage her emotions at all, and she came from a pretty bad background. I found out during that week that the child had been kicked out of several other programs, including 2 publicly funded programs that nearly never dismiss a child. I don't regret telling her why, and I sincerely hope that the child has finally received professional help.

I termed a 9 month old who had screamed non-stop for months after discovering from the dad that the child was allergic to milk, and the parents insisted on giving her Enfamil Premium formula, even after their pediatrician had told them to switch to soy. I couldn't see keeping a child whose parents were causing such pain (and eczema) for her. Dad also told me that she literally went to bed as soon as she got home from daycare (after being fed) and wasn't
"allowed" out of bed until they picked her up to take her to daycare. She, I do know, went through every daycare in town before her parents had to start driving her 22 miles each way to a daycare in a neighboring town (even at age 5, she was still hitting and biting). Probably had serious attachment issues in addition to the allergy.

When I term just because I don't like a child or parent, I do it gently, either by suggesting another daycare that I think the child could flourish at or by telling them that the space is no longer available.