View Single Post
Heidi 10:58 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
Yes he does. I almost said well then all the work you did before is out the window. Then I realized that it would do no good and I wasn't gonna waste my breath!!!!!!! Yes he tries to win at all cost even if it means repeated spankings. I refuse to let him win with me. Lol I am like not here mr. I am the boss and I will win this so don't even try. I can't imagine going through that exhausting event every night!!!!! Then to just give in to him!!! I'm not a spanker but I honestly think by this time he would be getting a spanking he would not soon forget!
We had family friends when I was young who had 3 children. Girl, boy 1, boy 2. Girl and boy one where compliant, got good grades, and generally did not challenge their parents. Boy 1, on the other hand, was a different animal. He was highly intelligent. As long as he could use this power for good, he did. He'd find jobs (at 12 he was helping roofers in the neighborhood), he'd go fishing for money at the laundrymat under the washers, (always found some, too), or whatever. If he was bored, he would break windows, or cause other sorts of mayhem.

His father (a college professor) handled all this with a belt. He literally tried to beat it out of him.

At 16, he stole a car. He went to jail for a little while. At 18, he joined to Army. He was dishonorably discharged. Now-a-days, he is a handsome, 47 yo man that can get walk out of any bar with a lady on his arm. But, he's also still just as likely to get into a fist fight about something stupid, and he often drinks until he pukes.

I guess my point is that beating it out of him did not work. I have no problem with the occasional swat on the rear as and exclamation point. But, if a child is being spanked on a daily basis, then SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING!

Mom (and caregivers) need to get this child evaluated, and FIND SOME TOOLS to work with him. Yes, the adults should be in charge. But, this boy needs something other than power struggles and punishment. There is a key there somewhere. It is his mom's job to find it!