View Single Post
Fruitloops1 04:09 PM 12-21-2012
GAH! I screwed myself...Help!!!

Back story: Signed a family up 4 months ago as I just started (they were my very first tour, I never did daycare before) Schedule is 2 days a week with alternating Monday and Friday every other week. I was so excited to have a tour I took it and was happy to have them. At that time my Rates were:
Newborn-2 years old
Full-time max 50 hours per week: $250
Part Time max 30 hours per week: $200
Drop In full day: $60

They asked to do the Drop in for 120 a week, me being excited I said sure. It didnt dawn on me that HELLO I screwed myself there. Drop in isnt every single week and drop in isnt guaranteed.

So I wrote them a letter to raise their rates. This is what i gave them:

Dear Husband & Wife,
Due to Child's alternating schedule I am forced to secure three days a week even if he is just attending two of those days. If we continue alternating Mondays and Fridays every other week I will need to increase the weekly tuition by $60, the per day rate. If you would like to switch to a set weekly schedule, where he would be attending the same two days every week you may do so without an increase. The new rate will be effective February 1st 2013. Your new weekly rate will be $180 per week plus the $2.00 per week fee for the wipes. Please return a signed copy by January 15th 2013. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Thank you,

Providor

I, ___________________________________ agree to pay for additional day at a rate of $60 per day for daycare. Effective February 1st 2013.

Signature/Date

I, ___________________________________ agree to change Child's daycare schedule to two consistent days per week effective February 1st 2013. (please circle two days)
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

Signature/Date

Then DCD comes at pickup while I was getting child ready and asks about bringing child in for 3 days and paying 180. *while child is screaming in my face* I say uh huh yeah. DCD takes baby and signs out and leaves. They leave 20 min later it hits me and i'm like OOOOHH NOOO! I email DCD this:

Hello DCD!

Sorry but when you asked earlier in regards to bringing Child 3 days a week I didn't get a chance to stop and actually process your question. I do have space available for Child to attend 3 days a week and I agree I think it would be better for him to have a set schedule. My current rate for an infant at 3 days is $250 per week. I wasn't aware that you would want him to attend 3 days a week so that is why I didn't have it as an option in the letter. We can discuss this further by scheduling a time either after daycare hours or via email.

Warm regards,

Provider

DCD comes today leaves me two letters (a Christmas card and a tuition letter) I read tuition letter when father leaves and it pretty much states they dont want to pay 180 for two days with m&f alternating but they will pay 180 for child to attend 3 days.

This is what I am considering responding:

Dear DCp's
When you enrolled Child, you signed up as a “drop-in” and that fee was 60.00 per day. Since Child does attend on a regular basis week to week he is not considered a “drop in”. I apologize, but when you originally signed up you should have been paying the “max of 30 hours per week rate” which was 200.00 a week at that time. As a “drop-in” space isn’t always guaranteed, but I have been securing Child’s spot at West Town Daycare for regular attendance. In the email I sent to you on 12/19/12 I quoted the current three-day rate, which is $250 per week, that is why there was a big jump from your drop-in rate for two days of $120. This is strictly a business decision and I need to maximize the space that I am allowed. I decided to only increase your rate by the per day rate that you are paying because I didn’t feel that it was fair to increase it to what is was at the time when you signed up and especially what the rate is now. I felt that increasing it by $60 for the two days with the alternating Monday and Friday was fair for both of us. My offer still stands as 180 for 2 days with Monday and Friday alternating or 3 days at my current rate of 250 per week.

Now my thought is hey you're paying a drop in rate(an OLD drop in rate) and drop in isnt guaranteed, I think they will GET IT if I say sorry January 17th is not available. Your child cannot attend.

Is my response back fair? is it clear? i want to be firm. WHat they are paying now is DIRT DIRT cheap in my area. The low end here is 1450 a month for an infant PART TIME.

Should I just term and say see ya?