View Single Post
Starburst 01:04 PM 02-15-2013
When I worked in a retail store they made us answer the phone with not only the business name but also to promote any specials we had this is one of the longer ones we had to say "Thank for calling ______'s where you can save 50% off your custom framing and 75% off your custom floral arrangements. This is ______, how can I help you?" Most of the time people would hang up or interrupt and say "Save the speil" but we had to say it everytime we answered because sometimes the managers would call just to make sure we were saying it. It would change everyweek and I would always mess up if I said it too slow and knew people grew impacient so I would say it really fast and the managers would tell me to slow it down- FYI no one cares about those upsales! They usually just want to know if we had certain Items.

I was watching "Flipping Out" (he has a home-based design/remodling business) and he makes all of his employees answer the phones "Good morning/afternoon. It's a wonderful day at Jeff Lewis's office- this is ____, how may I help you?"

When I worked at a home daycare she had both a cell and home phone that were used for both and she would just answer it "Hello" or "_____ speaking" and when anyone else answered the phone we would just say "_______'s daycare, ______ speaking".

I think when I start mine I will probably have a home phone just for daycare (you need to have a landline open here for licensing) and I think I will just answer it "Hello, thank you for calling ______ daycare, This is _____ speaking. How may I help you?" It's professional but still simple and not too overbearing.