View Single Post
May DeLosh 07:56 PM 10-14-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I’m so embarrassed

My new enrollment, 5 months, and only enrollment so far in this new house

His parents live right across the street and he screams in his crib.
I do the back to sleep thing just like I’m supposed to and have tried putting him down to sleep when I think he’s getting tired and tried also letting him get extra tired and even swinging and falling asleep and trying to move him.
He wakes up and screams in that crib for at least 10-15 mins
I feel the neighbors can hear him and like I’m gonna be reported as a terrible care provider but I legally can’t have him sleep in a swing or on the floor where he’s passed out before!
Soo frustrating!
Do I just let him scream and maybe the neighbors can hear him?
Or idk what other options I have. He gets so over tired he won’t play or do activities he just cries on the floor or do anything else.
Hi, my name is May, the director of May's Bilingual Preschool. I have more than 20 years of child care experiences. Here are what I do to help children to sleep:

1). The most common three reasons children don't take naps are: having a wet diaper, being hungry, and being physically uncomfortable. Check on these three things first.

2). There can be other reasons, such as different temperatures at home and at daycare, missing Mom and Dad, never slept in a crib before, etc. Discuss the possible reasons with the parents and try to come up with solutions together.

3). Build a routine for napping. It can be something like this: change the child's diaper, feed him/her, play for a little while, read a book to him/her, put the child in the crib, turn on relaxing music, rub the child's back with the music beats to calm him/her down...

I have found that back-rubbing is very effective, because everyone loves back rubbing. When you rub the back, the child will stop moving to enjoy it. After he/she has stopped moving for a while, they get sleepy and then fall asleep.

Keep the routine and don't be frustrated if the child cannot nap for the first several times. He/she will be able to sleep in a crib eventually.