Thread: Time Outs
View Single Post
Cat Herder 01:25 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by care giver:
OMG people! Get real! Time out is NOT, I repeat NOT,child abuse!!!Give me a break! Time out is an discipline action for doing something naughty and please think about it for a minute without jumping to conclusions, it is just another way of discipline, If a child has to sit in a comfortable child size, padded chair for just a few minutes is that abuse!!!!!!! Come on!!!!! It just teaches the child that if they misbehave they will have to sit in the time out chair, away from the other kids, but maybe in the same room until they can be nice and treat the other kids nicely!!! IS that abuse!!!!!! They have to learn that when they do something wrong they will be called on it, whatever way the daycare provider chooses to discipline. Just telling not to do it again, if you have to repeatably remind them of it or getting them involved in some other activity DOES not solve the misbehavior problem. The child is learning that if he or she doesn't want to sit in time out again and not get to play for a few minutes, them they won't want to misbehave again and if they do misbehave again, well then you should be talking to the parents about what he or she is doing and get their suggestions and help on the matter. Involve the parents in your disciplining. If your parents do the time out thing and they say to you that you should be doing that at daycare too if needed, then there is nothing abusive about it. We need too work with parents and let them know what we are doing for discipline and working together with them. Sorry.....This is ridiculous, time out is in no way mean or abusive, Daycare centers do it and I know that for a fact. So come on people, let not accuse people who use timeouts as abusive daycare providers!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you are taking what was said out of context, it was NOT a debate or accusation. Just a fact. I will cut and paste...directly from my rules and regs.

GUIDANCE
The home may use non-punitive disciplinary practices that do not result in physical, emotional or psychological harm to the child. The provider and employees shall care for children without resorting to physical punishment or abusive language. Caregivers shall acknowledge and model desired behavior. The use of “time-out” is recommended for children age 3 years or over. Homes should selectively use “time-out” only to enable the child to regain control of themselves. The caregiver shall keep the child within visual contact and should limit the amount of time that the child is placed in time-out to one minute per year of age. The caregiver should take into account the child’s developmental stage, tolerances, and ability to learn from “time-out”. Examples of inappropriate discipline are to place a child facing the wall while in time-out, threatening the child that they will call their mother, father, police, etc., speaking directly to the child in a loud and threatening voice or grabbing the child by the arm or clothing to move the child.