Thread: Biting! AUGH!
View Single Post
meganlavonnesmommy 06:11 PM 09-19-2011
I just took on a child with a history of biting. She's been "asked to leave" two previous daycare center situations becuase of the biting.
I've had her for almost a month so far, and she's bit twice. She's 2 1/2.

I just document everything, when it happened I gave a written notice to both families, biter and bitee, and had them sign it. I also gave them each an article on biting, and why kids do it. They seemed to appreciate the info and knowing that it's developmentally common for kids to bite, and it will get better. I wanted to make sure they knew that the child wasnt "bad' or "mean" and that it was a common thing for kids that age.

I also outlined what I planned to do when it happened, ie" giving the attention to the child who was bit, and putting the biter in "time out" to think about her actions. I firmly told her we do NOT bite people, and made sure I did something fun with the other kids while she was in time out so she felt like she was missing out. I took the other kids and sat them on my lap and read one of their favorite books. She saw we were having fun, and she didnt get to participate, so she was not happy. Then when I took her out of time out (2 minutes total). I told her if she bit people then she wouldnt be able to have fun and play with her friends.