View Single Post
Unregistered 08:12 AM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by elle73:
I had a interview yesterday with a mom who wanted daycare for her 2yr old son, first of all she shows up and leaves her husband and son in the car, which I thought was weird because ususally both parents like to meet with me and the child to see how I interact with him. Then she started asked me about my insurance and how much it was and she wanted to know if it was a million dollars. She never asked one question about my routine with the kids, how many kids I have or anything about what we would do during the day it was all about the insurance.
Some articles about child care provide a sample list of questions for parents to ask when interviewing child care providers. I've seen some lists that do tell parents to ask about insurance coverage because accidents can/do happen at day care. I wouldn't be overly concerned if a parent asked about insurance if it were just one of many questions she asked. The fact that this parent's only concern seemed to be insurance-related would send a red flag up for me, though, and I wouldn't be inclined to taker her as a client either.

I once had an interview in which the mom was sitting with me at the kitchen table, asking me questions about my day care while the dad brought their little girl into the next room to play with the toys. Under his watch, the little girl toppled over and bumped her head. The father said, "Did I ask you if you have insurance?" He was very dead-pan when he said it so I couldn't quite tell if he was trying to be funny so I shot back, "No you didn't. Did I tell you my opening is no longer available? We all laughed and they've been one of my best. long-term day care families. I now have their 2nd child in my care and despite a few boo-boos here and there, they have never brought up the issue of insurance again. ;-)