View Single Post
amberrose3dg 08:41 AM 01-04-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think the idea that working parents can't fit parenting into their day is the Genesis of the turning child CARE into early childhood education instead of care.

Once that became a foundation of "quality" then other parental responsibilities started showing up on the shoulders of child care.

This is just another avenue to remove parents from having to do the HARD parenting work and make the HARD choices like you made.

I gave up a very successful 21 year business in a fantastic set up I built from the floors up and moved to a little town with a kick high school for my teenager who could have never made it in the huge high school he was slated to attend after Jr High.

I gave him four years of really low child to adult ratios in class and a school where more than half of his teachers are male. I gave him a chance to play sports where he wouldn't have made first cut in the huge schools much less play.

I gave him a home four blocks from the school so he didn't have to be at a bus stop at 530 am to bus downtown and transfer to take another bus to school.

It changed my life dramatically. It changed it in a way that I don't know with certainty that I will be able to replicate my past success once his high school is over and I return to my home city.

I had to do it. I knew when he was born that I would have to move when he became a high school student.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice your whole way of life to do what your kids need. Sometimes you have to give up a high paying job. Sometimes you have to risk that you won't recover once your sacrifices are no longer necessary. Sometimes you have to live a life that doesn't suit you an iota or makes you terribly unhappy because it's perfect for your kid.

I'm over hearing how hard it is for working parents. If your kid needs something that changes your work and lifestyle you just do and figure out the rest as you move on.

This!
I have done the same. I now run this business because it is what was best for my children. I have had lots of people refer to me as the babysitter when I am much more than that. One of the parents referred to me as the stranger when I have been with her son 3 days a week for the last 1.5 years! I realize I provide a service and do that to what is best for my family and not everyone else. At the end of the day your family and children are the parent's responsibility. The daycare provider just needs to do what they agreed to when the parents sign up. One of my family's just asked if their kids can stay late on wednesday's(pick up is at 230 usually and wanted to stay until 4.) I told them no. Sorry but it doesn't work for me. (i have older kids coming in and hectic pick ups at that time do not want to add one more to the list)They will have to figure something else out or take turns keeping their kids so the other one can do it. I only have one assistant. This is why I will not take special needs children. I cannot accommodate them and would feel awful. There simply isn't enough of me to go around.Now if you take special needs children and offer that option to the parents then it is a different story.