View Single Post
Lyss 06:49 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One thing that would help us all i think is a schedule, but im not sure how to do that either. Its difficult bc one week she works 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and the next week she works 12:00 pm to 9:00 pm if not later. My boyfriend also works this same schedule. So it varies from week to week when we get up and go to bed. Also, i dont know how to do a set nap time.. What if they get tired and fussy and want to sleep before that time? Any thoughts? Or would my circumstances make a schedule impossible?
The screamer that I had also had a varying schedule (which played a big part in why it took so long for her to adjust), somedays DCD dropped off at 8:45ish and other days it was 12pm. Plus her days varied so some weeks she was here 5 days and other weeks it was maybe 2 days (and they weren't always in a row so it could be Mon/Thurs...), DCD only knows about 2 weeks in advance what his schedule will be.

We didn't do a set "schedule" when DCG was that young (5mos) but more of a routine so that DCG knew what to expect next and days were somewhat predicable for her. We loosely followed the EASY schedule (E- eat, A- activity, S- sleep, Y- your time ). We didn't assign times to it though so it wasn't like at 7 she has to eat, at 10 she has to sleep. Her schedule 'started' whenever she woke up.

This DCG usually woke @ 7 so by 830-9 she was ready for nap so on her early drop off (8:45ish) she would arrive and go right down for nap. Then she'd get up (10ish), eat, "play" aka cry, and would be ready for nap around noon again (and so on throughout the day). DCPs kept this up at home and with her drop off schedule every time she was dropped off (845ish and 12ish) she was ready for a nap and it was consistent for her. There were days when she didn't sleep or slept longer, which threw times off a but but we just kept with the routine. When she started being awake more (and happier finally by this point) at about 8 months we started more of an actual "schedule" and went to only 2 naps.