View Single Post
nothingwithoutjoy 05:50 PM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
NWOJ-

Does your overhead projector get hot?

Where did you find one? I don't think they are used in schools much anymore?
This is the second one I've owned (we broke the first one, which I liked better, darn it.) I got both on ebay. The first one was a major deal (can't remember-maybe $20?) The next a little more. But if you're lucky, you can get one on freecycle.com or at a school auction as schools get rid of them.

(Just looked--I think this one is similar to the one I used to have and liked a lot.)

Yes, it gets hot (curiously, this newer one gets hotter than the really old one I used to have). Not so hot that if they touch it they'll get burned, but if you put your hand on the top (not the glass, but up by the mirror) for a long time, it's definitely hot. But they learn quickly, since it does feel hot enough that you don't want to stay there! When I had it on the floor with crawling babies, I always stayed close. When kids who are secure on their feet are using it, and we've talked about it, I feel safe letting them play. (It's low, and they're allowed to turn it on when they want it. I turn it off if no one's using it, so it doesn't get too hot.)