View Single Post
finsup 03:01 PM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by Best Practices:
This is a health and safety concern and needs to be reported. Maybe the fact that this person confided in you is a cry for help. Also, as licensed providers we are mandatory reporters and have a legal responsibility to respond by reporting actions that endanger or put children at risk. In addition, the operating practice of unlicensed providers has a negative impact on those of us who are professionals and earn our living by providing childcare. Good luck and let me know how you respond.
Here, we can operate unliscesned if we care for 2 families or less. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense business wise for me to go through the liscensing process (and costs) when I don't want to expand. If I did, I would absolutely do it legally. I am determined to still provide quality care though and it fruesterates me so much when people don't. Or blow off laws and give parents, especially first time parents this is "what to expect" from home daycare in general

I think with this particular provider, she likes the idea of running a professional business but doesn't want to put the work and effort it takes to do it successfully. I spoke with a few other local providers and just asked if they knew anything about her in general. I didn't get good reports back. In addition to all the laws being broken, care is questionable, and not safe. I went ahead and made the report. All i can hope is that this becomes a learning experience for her.

Oh, and to the unregistered...I have taught Kindergarten in public school prior to this. We of all people should be VERY aware of how important the early years of a child's life is. Most illegal providers, at least in this area, are not "grandma caring for a few kids." Most here are people who provide cheap care, for as many kids as possible, often in unsafe, unclean, and overall questionable environments. I can't in good conscience turn a blind eye, I just can't. Provide legal care, or lobby to change the requirements for liscensing.