View Single Post
Crystal 05:44 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Dahlia:
I think the word curriculum encompasses a wide variety of possibilities, and isn't necessarily restricted to a formal out-of-the-box kind of thing, at least in the minds of parents like me, who don't necessarily have all the lingo down yet.

When I ask about a "curriculum" for my 19-month-old, I want to know what you're going to be doing all day and that these things are developmentally appropriate and are going to be good for my child. If you're going to be reading stories, singing songs, counting, talking about colors, going on walks, or whatever, then say that -- that counts! Open-ended play and age-appropriate toys count too, as do sharing, getting along with others, and various social skills. It's an opportunity to show off your experience and tell me why your setup is happy and healthy for my little one and how learning is going to fit seamlessly into that environment, just like it would if I were at home with her myself, counting her toes, singing her the ABCs, and pointing out the green trees and the red apples. I'm not looking for SAT-prep or anything, but I do want to be convinced that you're good with kids, that you know what is good for kids, and that you're not just turning them loose to fend for themselves until feeding time.

Yes, a formal, age-appropriate, well-researched "curriculum" adds legitimacy, and I admit one place I visited did have me totally convinced my kiddo would be learning Calculus before she was potty trained and love every minute of it, but if a caregiver comes across as engaged and interested in whatever it is they do and like they're making some effort to incorporate appropriate learning activities, it really goes a long way, I think. "I just let them play" isn't giving yourself enough credit, IMO, if you're doing those things (which it sounds like you all are, which is great to hear).
I like you