View Single Post
justgettingstarted 12:08 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Actually it "IS" a choice. If you choose to have children you get to choose how to afford them. You can choose to work opposite shifts than your partner, barter services for childcare, join a childcare co-op, rely on friends, family. You chose to have kids, noone " has" to. Your salary only dropped by 10%? you are lucky, ours dropped over 40%. Your home value dropped $100000? Wow, mine dropped $30000( and that was almost half what I financed)
The choices I made 20-25 years ago are impacting my life today. Did I know then how things would be now? No,... But were they still MY CHOICES? yes. Every decision you make is a choice. And we all must live with them. I chose to put 40% down on my home 20 years ago, I chose to have four children, now I must choose how to pay my bills. I might not like the options but I still have to CHOOSE one. Everyone does. Noone said it was easy. But the choices we all made in the past limit out options in the present. They are still options and choices we all make. Good or bad, easy or hard, it's all choice.
Yes, I could "choose" to live with my baby in a cardboard box out on the street but let's be real. I'm just saying don't make it sound like a simple decision that all parents just drop off their kids because they love working and dont' want to be at home with them. Maybe some do but I certainly don't. I'm working very hard right now to open my own daycare so that I can be home with him but in the mean time I simply do not have any other realistic options.