View Single Post
Unregistered 03:05 PM 10-05-2007
Being that a provider only has so many spots, each spot is worth so many dollars. I have been a provider for over 8 years, I charge whether the child is here or not, vacations, holidays, sick days included. I do have a maternity/sick leave policy and I will hold the families spot for a fee. I agree, you would not go to work not knowing if you will be working 4 or 8 hours each day. If you work ft, you are guaranteed 40 hours. We are doing nothing but asking the same.

DC Providers get no benefits. We pay our own taxes, have weekly expenses. I sure wish the $80 I get on Friday for caring for a child ft was free and clear money, but it isn't. I pay insurance, food, utilities, misc supplies, preschool supplies, taxes and the list goes on of what comes out of that $80 when I get it.

I currently have a 3 yr old that goes to a "real" preschool and is gone 2.25 hours 2 mornings a week. They still have to pay for that time. It is not realistic for the family to think I should deduct that time. There is no way I could fill that spot for that time perior. Plus, I am getting your child ready to go to preschool, wait for him to return, etc. When you put your child in daycare you are paying for the spot...not the hours they are there.

As a provider, there is no way I can fund a daycare and make a income offering pt spots.