View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 02-14-2012
This thread was part of another one and started having a mind of it's own off topic from the OP's original intent, so I created a new thread about this topic to be respectful of original poster.

Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Blackcat, I've always valued your opinion on these boards. I'm sure you have posted this before, But I'll admit, I just don't remember. Do you work with teaching your kids colors, shapes, numbers, letters. worksheets and cutting etc, to have them ready for preschool?

My dck's learn those things through play. I do not have a specific curriculum that teaches them those skills. Those skills come naturally based on the experiences and opportunities I provide for them. In the words of Einstein "I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn."

I don't feel qualified to have them kindergarten ready. I tell my parents by 4, they should move to a preschool. They are qualified to get them ready for kindergarten. We basically play here. I will do shapes and colors, with they toys (shape sorters, blocks, etc). I don't teach them to write their names (I don't want to teach them the wrong way to make letters).

To me, being ready for Kindergarten means understanding how to take turns, wait in line, follow directions, empathize with your peers, think a bit from their perspective, being respectful, listen to the adult and know what your responsibilties are in specific situations. It doesn't mean knowing how to count or write your name or anything else academic. Those things come naturally. My job is to prepare them for kindergarten in a foundational way not an academic one.
I answered in bold