View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:50 PM 02-14-2012
Here is a really good article about universal preschool. http://www.plan4preschool.org/docume...ol-for-all.pdf It talks about how not only low income children benefit from preschool but that middle income kids do too but it DOES not give any evidence of how they know that. The article just says it.

I do think there has to be something said for WHAT preschool teaches. I think all kids would do well in school and normal academic progress would be greater if they were taught the foundational self help skills in preschool versus the academic skills.

Too many kids are entering Kindergarten with only a few months under their belt wearing underwear. Too many kids are heading off to school not having any idea how to behave socially or to listen to direction or knowing how to be patient and wait or take turns. Too many kids are heading off to Kindy while still using cups with lids! etc, etc, etc...

I think universal preschool is a great idea.....but not for academic reasons.

I also agree with Amyleigh....the fact that middle income kids could now benefit from preschool is because more and more parents are no longer vested in their children and expect their child's learning to come from everywhere but them.