View Single Post
Persephone 12:57 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Well, the only thing I can tell you is this...my daughter got a rash around her mouth when she would eat strawberries. The pedi said not to worry about it, she would more than likely outgrow it. He also said we should "just give her a strawberry from time to time and check it out." He was right, she outgrew it and it was never more than a very mild redness around her mouth.

That said...I wouldn't give a daycare child a stawberry if I knew that she was allergic to it...however, if one came in contact with his/her food I would not be in a huge panic about it either. If a child has a known allergy that is definitely going to require a trip to the ER by ambulance, than I am not going to put myself at risk. It just isn't worth it to me.
I think your pedi was crazy to tell you that. It could have been bad!

But the best way to avoid a trip to ER is to educate yourself about allergies and read labels.

I have a Epi-pen for my son but I plan to never have to use it because I just read labels like crazy. If we go out to a restaurant we either take a trip to McDonalds first, since they are safe or I call ahead and talk to a manager about their food.