View Single Post
Countrygal 05:28 PM 03-20-2012
I have to say everyone that there are times some of us have to close. For one thing if WE have contracted certain diseases, we are required to give our parents notice, and I think it would be kinder to close than to take a chance of passing these diseases on to the kids. I'm thinking of the more recent re-occurrence of whooping cough, for example. There is NO WAY I could in good conscience expose my daycare kids to that if I knew I came down with it.

I had a very bad infection and was bed-ridden for almost an entire week. I almost landed in the hospital. I couldn't get out of bed let alone take care of children. It was unsafe to have them here. I could not provide adequate supervision. I had my own 5yo to watch and I could barely do that. He was usually playing in my bedroom or watching movies while I was in bed.

Being a single gmom I have no hubby to take over - those of you who do are very blessed. I cannot afford to pay the "substitutes" around here (if I could find one) because they charge more than I make! So there just is no alternative.

On the other hand I take no sick days, no paid days off, and only take a vacation when I have somewhere I want to go and then at most 1 week per year. I read tons about people on here who take paid all of the above!

I charge only for the hours the children are here with no charges for late show or early pick up. There have been many times already when I've kept the kids late or gotten up early to accommodate the parents.

I think that what I am trying to say is that it sounds like some of you are "coming down on" learnngro for taking off. Maybe I don't agree with all of her reasons for taking off, but I don't agree with some of the other reasons people take off, either. That's a personal decision. If her parents knew the score they should be willing to pay up. If, on the other hand she took off without notice, well, that's different.

What I'm trying to say is that we don't have all the information.

To answer your question, learn, never had experience with taking anyone to court, but I do know it's expensive, even for small claims court. Usually not worthwhile unless you have lost a lot of money. For a couple of hundred dollars it is usually not worthwhile financially.