View Single Post
daycarediva 11:09 AM 08-13-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Ok, I'm probably going to be flamed for this but I think this child IS extra work and therefore an extra charge for the extra time, effort, energy and manpower is acceptable to me. It isn't about "special needs" it's about extra work compared to an average child of the same age.

A child that is 4.5 and has trouble with steps must have trouble with other physical activities, balance, stamina and self help skills. The toilet training could be difficulties from anything from dressing and undressing to bladder control to a lack of comprehension to put it all together. That is all much different from the average 4.5 year old who would be in school here.

I talked about this thread alot with my dh. His child is a teen with special needs and she attended a special daycare that was staffed to accommodate special needs children. She's in the public school system now with just some occasional help after surgeries. He said if they weren't lucky enough to have this program close by then he would have absolutely paid "extra" to a SAHM to take on the work and stress involved with a special needs child so that she could be in that environment.

Just my two cents, well dh's too. I wouldn't have posted about this if he hadn't encouraged me to. He said one of the hardest things about being a parent to a special needs child is accepting that they are a little different and that they are more work for the average person.

From DH, "Special needs parents adapt and survive but we need to always remember that everyone around us doesn't need to do that. We always need to be aware that our children are special and often need things or services that above and beyond what an average child would need and an average parent would even consider."
My son has special needs and I completely agree with your dh, this entire post in fact. Because I have a son with special needs, I absolutely would not take on another special needs child because I cannot meet all of their needs. I think parents need to accept that when you have a child with a disability it is going to be harder to do EVERYTHING, and it is going to cost more. It's not PC, but it's the truth.

To the other poster paying ridiculously high taxes because of special needs kids- from a Mom of a kid receiving services---THANK YOU! We really DO appreciate it! Our school started a special program so that they wouldn't have to bus kids and pay more, it's absolutely amazing and is just about double what a regular ed kid costs BUT that includes a 6:1 ratio classroom, all of the services and therapies individual kids need, and a FREE before and after school program for the kids whose parents work FT. It's the MAIN REASON we changed districts. Also, most people aren't aware of this, but the school bills our private insurance for therapies, and only provide through school funding what our insurance doesn't cover and that he NEEDS. So my copays & deductibles apply. It isn't a free ride (and we don't call him the million dollar baby for nothin!!!!!!!!)