View Single Post
Kaddidle Care 04:45 PM 08-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
To the other poster paying ridiculously high taxes because of special needs kids- from a Mom of a kid receiving services---THANK YOU! We really DO appreciate it! Our school started a special program so that they wouldn't have to bus kids and pay more, it's absolutely amazing and is just about double what a regular ed kid costs BUT that includes a 6:1 ratio classroom, all of the services and therapies individual kids need, and a FREE before and after school program for the kids whose parents work FT. It's the MAIN REASON we changed districts. Also, most people aren't aware of this, but the school bills our private insurance for therapies, and only provide through school funding what our insurance doesn't cover and that he NEEDS. So my copays & deductibles apply. It isn't a free ride (and we don't call him the million dollar baby for nothin!!!!!!!!)
That would be me with the ridiculously high taxes. $4,800.00 for a 2 bedroom bungalow is rather steep (don't you think?) and approximately 75% of that goes to schools. Approximate cost of education per student here is $12,500.00 per year which includes those going to school for $80-100,000.00 per year. (a private College is approximately $50,000.00 per year!)

We have people in town that look for a reason to classify their children be it speech or simply a child that likes to walk on their toes. (yes, I know this can indicate autism but not always) This way they can get their child in free preschool so they can go out and get a job or just plain get free childcare.

I feel my child is special too. I would love to send him to the best private school available but can't afford it. A 6/1 ratio would be awesome. I would love that for my child!

When you have a disabled child do you or do you not receive disability or Social Security money? Does this money get applied to their education bill?

While your child's education costs twice what my child's education costs, I don't begrudge the child. There just has to be a better way. A limit on what can be charged is a start. Special Ed is big business these days.