View Single Post
daycarediva 07:28 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I tell my parents that if the child is sick enough to be on meds they are too sick for daycare...
That ^. Regardless of fever. Here is my illness policy.

For the health and safety of your child, the other children in my care, myself and my family, please do not bring your child if they are sick. Children with mild cold like symptoms may attend, who are otherwise feeling and acting well. The symptoms of mild cold include; no fevers, mild runny nose, slight cough. If you are not sure if your child can attend, please contact me. If your child/ren becomes ill during daycare hours, you will be notified and expected to pick up or make emergency arrangements WITHIN 30 MINUTES. It is at my discretion when to remove a child, some of these symptoms include, but are not limited to; fever of 100.4 or greater, cough, moderate-severe runny nose, nausea and/or vomiting, diarrhea, rash or irritability that causes them to be unable to participate. Once the child is removed he/she will not be allowed back until they are symptom free for 24 hours without medication AND well enough to participate in our daily schedule. On occasion I will request a note from the pediatrician stating that they are no longer contagious and able to participate in daycare. Please remember that while stringent, these guidelines go both ways. This means that your child (and ultimately yourself and family) are not being exposed to unnecessary illnesses as well.

I would include something to them about being unable to participate. If a child is too sick to keep up, they need to go home to rest.

I just sent home a kiddo today with a mild cold who was absolutely miserable, he just wanted to lay on the floor and refused to go outside. Parents understood and Mom came to get him. Can you imagine being in the child's shoes when they are ill and all they want is home/Mom? When I called my dcm I just played on her sympathy/empathy for her own child. "Dcm little John is just miserable, he doesn't have a fever (98.9) but he is exhausted and crying and asking for you and isn't able to keep up with the kids today, I think he really needs some Mommy time right now that he feels so awful."