Thread: Still Biting
View Single Post
Heidi 11:11 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I agree that moving the victim won't resolve the biter's problem. But as a parent, I wouldn't CARE about the biter's problem being resolved, and I certainly wouldn't allow my child to continue being bitten for the sake of helping resolve the biter's problem. A bite on my child's face, after she had already been bitten by the same child before would send me into a fit.

As a provider I would care that the victim's parents were removing a child who doesn't bite, leaving me with the child who does bite, because I want to "help" the biter learn to not bite. As a provider, I would also be concerned that my reputation would be destroyed by the victim's parents letting the public know that I condone biting for the sake of helping the biter, instead of PROTECTING all of the other children, which is my primary responsibility.

I don't know why you keep saying it is a common problem for toddlers to bite. It is NOT a common problem. It happens, yes. But in 16 years of doing this, starting 98% of my children as infants, I have only had 2 children that I can recall ever having a problem with biting, and it happened with each of them ONCE....had it happened again, they'd have been out the door. I refuse to lose clients because I allowed a biter to remain in care.

I agree that we cannot term every misbehaved child. I rarely recommend terming. BUT, when it comes to biting, CONTINUOUSLY, then I do recommend it. I would go as far as saying to yes, try to help resolve the biting, but when you have attempted that and it hasn't improved, then WHY put yourself at risk of losing other clients, AND being reported for neglect....because honestly, it IS neglect......neglecting to protect other children for the sake of helping a biter AND not losing income.
I totally understand what you're saying, Crystal. Once again, I am not saying it's just something where one says "oh, well it normal so it's ok".

OP said she can't term right now. It would put her family in dire financial straits, from the sound of it, and she doesn't have prospective new clients to replace him. The bitee's parents are in the loop, and OP seems to be trying to be proactive. All I can do is give her some more ideas.

As for it being common, I guess that's my take on it because I hear it again and again. There are two people on the board today that are asking about biting. Every provider I've known for 24 years has had one or two.

I did find this information on Birth-to-3's website. I didn't read through it all, but maybe there are some other ideas to help those with biters. LOL The first thing it says is don't "label" the kid a biter.

http://www.zerotothree.org/child-dev...on-biting.html