View Single Post
Annalee 10:26 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
My daughter is autistic (recently diagnosed) and we were talking to her school about getting her in IEP so she can get the best education. There is a new special needs teacher that leads her school and 2 others. Well it took her 3 weeks to call me back and get me answers. She called me last night at 9:30pm saying that our daughter doesn't qualify for IEP because her special needs are enough to require services?! Then this morning she had her 1st therapy appointment and her therapist told me that they can't do that per the disability act and I should look into it. Does anyone know if what they did is wrong? Do I call the school and have them reevaluate? I am super confused!
Technically, a school system is required to do what it will take to meet all learning styles and disabilities. BUT, get your backbone in gear! I have two special needs nephews, one ready to graduate in May and the other in 4th grade...it has been a struggle for their parents every step of the way!!!!! I have taken special education classes and observed in many classrooms so I suggested the younger son use an ipad from the beginning. Finally, in 4th grade the IEP group decides "hey, let's try an ipad with this child"....duh!!!!!??? Then, when the oldest was bedfast a few years ago unable to walk/talk/respond at all, the school system sent someone here 2 days a week because by law he had to have school, but when he gets better and returns to school, it is like pulling teeth to get him an aide for the day....very frustrating!!!!!!! While it is NOT my children, I have seen the heartbreak on the faces of my brother and sister in law many times.