View Single Post
SilverSabre25 12:25 PM 10-18-2010
So he eats pears. I have that with my group (all are under 3, most under 2). A couple of kids will only eat the fruit, or only cracker-like things, or whatever. I serve them, they sit there not eating and watching the others eat the stuff, and I hope that eventually they figure out that it's good to eat and try it. I also eat lunch at the same time (sometimes) and if I do then it's the same food and I stress how yummy everything is; that has made a few of them take bites.

Personally I serve the fruit at the same time as everything else and I have a rule that you have to eat a significant (I look at your plate and KNOW you've eaten) amount of at least the main dish--but I use this based on their ability to understand this.

Case in point: today lunch was lunchmeat sandwiches and banana (yeah, no veggie, which was unusual, but I only felt like doing baby carrots and none of them today can eat the baby carrots, so I didn't bother; I'm not on the food program). One ate liked a starving woman (she's been sick and not eating so I'm not surprised, although she doesn't normally eat), one just ate banana, one ate nothing. I did give more banana to both who ate it, because they're too young/nonverbal to understand. Plus, bananas are cheap.