View Single Post
TXhomedaycare 07:31 AM 02-11-2016
This is a personal issue with one of my sons. My oldest 5 yo ds wears night time diapers. His doctor told me he will most likely start using the restroom at night when he is 5 or 6. We limit the amount of liquids he drinks and have him use the restroom before bed (he drinks tons of water all day because he is a very active high energy child). He fills his night time diaper up to the point that it is busting at the seams every night and the smell is stuck in his room and I have to wash his sheets constantly. The part that bothers me is that I think that my child is lazy. We recently told him he can no longer put on his night diaper until he is actually going to bed because he was peeing on himself while we read at night or while he was watching a show after bath time. He would prefer to pee in the diaper than get up and use the restroom. I love my son but he is a down right lazy child. He loves to cut corners and do the least required of him in most cases (we are working on that). I have been told to wake him up at night and take him to the restroom but my MIL and I have also been told that does not work and to leave him alone. I have made a reward system for dry diapers but rewards systems don't work for my son as he gives up on day one (he likes instant gratification). I would like to know if anyone has some tips or suggestions on how to handle this.

A little back history that might be a big part of the issue. My son potentially was potty trained early. The daycare he went to before I opened mine bumped him up a level since he plays up better than with kids his age. He was with a group of kids who were already potty trained and so the daycare and myself (I'm not going to say it was only the daycare) started to potty train him without really assessing of he was ready. Potty training was tough but I haven't had a boy that was easy.