View Single Post
Snowmom 10:26 AM 04-02-2016
Originally Posted by krosey5:
Thank you for replying!

Is it worth it? Ah, a question I have asked myself numerous times after agreeing. I sat down & figured my weekly expenses. If I reduce rates much, my profit won't be great (of course expenses should drop slightly with less days/hours). So, no, pay wise definitely not. I just feel bad & want to help. Emotions, eh, they suck.

I actually do not have to maintain my license. Since I will only be caring for this family I can go exempt. However, my license is good until 2018 & my rep suggested leaving it until then & letting her still pop in for visits. I don't see the harm in that. Plus, I don't believe I can carry business liability insurance w/o a valid license. I may be wrong. I thought of letting the insurance go, BUT....I just want to be protected in some way. As much as I love this family & they say they love me, we all know things could turn quickly if GOD forbid anything ever happened.

I couldn't agree more--$27.50 is low, but it's the going rate for PT in my area according to our CCR&R.
The bolded part above tells me that even though you'd like a little extra income, you're still doing it for them vs doing it for you.
If you do feel you want to, then I'd look at ways to save money. Can you cut expenses in food areas? Could you ask the parents to contribute with activity expenses (bring preschool activities or contribute to your stash)? Are you currently buying any diapering supplies they could be responsible for instead? Look at all avenues you spend money on to see if there's alternatives.
Then, I'd adjust their rate, but only to where it makes sense FOR YOU to make a profit.