View Single Post
Lucy 08:03 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
yeah, teachers get paid, but the schools are not for profit AND stats show that teachers spend money out of their pocket to buy supplies - the number varies depending on where you look, but generally $500-$1000. how many non-business owners buy their own supplies? secretaries aren't buying copy paper. nurses aren't buying needles. there are many people who are employed by agencies that are non-profit. the agencies get tax breaks, but the employee of course gets paid. it also has zero to do with having a degree in another field. that would make as much sense as me trying to get a discount on medical supplies even though i'm not a doctor, "but i have a degree in another field."

either way, it's irrelevant because the discount isn't offered to only licensed teachers - it's offered to homeschool teachers with a GED. that's why i think it must have more to do with for profit vs. non-profit than how daycare providers are perceived.

Yes. TOTALLY agree. I gotta go with JoAnne's on this one. We're NOT teachers*. And I agree with giving K-12 TEACHERS the discount, because they DO spend tons of their own money on supplies.

*see clarification in my next post.