View Single Post
hwichlaz 12:10 PM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Most parents can stagger their hours so they don’t leave their kids in care for those hours. I can see some people truly needing it but most don’t.

Almost every single daycare ad I have seen in the past two years is for a minimum of 10 hours a day. The last family I interviewed needed my full day of 7am-5pm eventhough I asked both of them what they did for a living and there was no reason they could not stagger their hours like some of my other families. The couple across the street from me both work the same job as my husband but both work 10 hours to his 7!

Some people are making those choices.
That was possible before they were short-handed. Now everyone is ordered in for mandatory over time. We are a very large county...and right now we only have 2 deputies on duty at a time. There is a large lake in the middle of our county that takes about an hour to drive around rolling code. It's practically the wild west out here right now. With mom and dad working opposite days, because of the mandatory OT the kids are still in care 4 days a week 13 hours a day. No one likes it...but getting fired for refusing the OT isn't an option.

Examply, before mandatory OT mom works Mon-Wed and every other Thursday. Dad worked Every other wednesday and Thurs-Sat They get sundays off together to do family stuff. Mom is working at the jail, dad on patrol, which is why the sunday off happens. With mandatory OT they are both working 6 days a week but still getting Sundays off together. It really sucks