View Single Post
nannyde 03:04 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by CC27:
Nannyde, I notice you left out the most important part of being NAFCC accredited. As a NAFCC accredited provider since 1996, I can tell you it's not that easy. You failed to mention the 120 hours of Early Childhood Development training an accredited provider has to take every 3 years. I personally know Jacqueline who is not a family childcare provider, but an excellent preschool teacher.

From reading your blog about the childcare center and "no one" has a GED, and the care for 300 kids. Then you mention NAEYC, which is for centers. To top it off, you think preschool it only good for school who are "poor". It shows that you really don't have any idea what you are talking about. If you would like to understand that we are teachers, please come spend a day with us.

I agree that it's time for Jo-Ann to stop discriminating against licensed childcare providers, as Early Educators of young children.
You obviously didn't read what I said. In my State you can have a Center with three hundred kids and not have a single person in the building that has even a GED except for the director who has to have a high school diploma.

Here's my States Center regs: The personell requirements start on page 46. Read em and weep.

http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/policyana...er/comm204.pdf

I was wrong about one thing though. The Center director doesn't have to have a high school diploma either. She can have a GED too When obtaining her 100 points to be qualified she doesn't have to have any in the education points other than a business class (total twelve clock hours) or proof of business administration experience.

You said: You failed to mention the 120 hours of Early Childhood Development training an accredited provider.

Taking day care clock hours classes is NOT the same as college. You can't compare it. I've been through four years of college and over 250 hours of day care classes and I can tell you not ONE of the day care hours was ANYWHERE NEAR the level of difficulty as a General Biology course in college.

You can't compare it to getting a Bachellors Degree in early childhood education. It's a rediculous comparison.

I'm not saying it's not "hard"... I'm saying the education you get doesn't warrant you the job of TEACHER.

If you want to be called Teacher then go to real college and take a real four year degree program and be a real teacher.

You said: you think preschool it only good for school who are "poor". It shows that you really don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Show me. Show me the way. Teach me. Show me any longitudinal study on preschool education and how it results in ANY significant long term difference in the measurable outcomes of kids in reading, math, science, writing, etc. Core academic subjects. Not little bits of some reading scores... but fully in reading, writing, math, social studies, science. Show me how kids who have preschool graduate at a higher rate, have less crimal activity, have higher grades beyond second grade, have less teen pregnancy, have higher gradution rates in college, score higher in any grade level beyond second grade in standardized tests.

Show me how that happens because I can't find it. Show me a study that is not poor kids and disadvantaged kids and show me what preschool does for them. If we are going to put billions of dollars into it then we got to get SOMETHING out of it. Something in the way of EDUCATION.

Until then I will hold steadfast that we need to STOP taking research from poor kids and apply it to the reasoning for early education for the rest of the population.

My opinion is that there isn't anything out there to show non poor kids benefit in any measurable way to preschool because the truth is they don't. We always believe that early is better but in this case I don't believe it is. I don't think you can cheat mother nature. Kids are ready for school when they are five/six years old. You can teach them some of the skills before five/six but it won't make them better or "ahead" students in second, third, fourth, eigth, ninth, grade.

What kids need birth to five is good CARE. We need to subsidize good CARE.