View Single Post
Crystal 11:35 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
why not just go to school for appx. 1,000 hours per year for 4 years straight?

problem solved! no "convincing" required.
DISCLAIMER: I am only using myself as an example here because I do not have anyone here to use as an example, as I do not know most member’s level of education. I am NOT using myself as an example to indicate that I am better in any way. I realize that there are MANY providers who have far higher levels of education and qualifications thatn I do, however I do not have those provider’s information.

QCare, I agree with you about the work and commitment that "teachers" put into their education. But, I don't believe it is necessary to have that B.A. distinction to define a teacher.

You say " why not just go to school for appx. 1,000 hours per year for 4 years straight?"

Well, I have done that. I don't have my B.A. but I have done that.

FTR, I may only have an AA, but I have more than 90 ECE and Gen Ed units....only 36 are required to hold an AA. I just chose to continue my ed at the community college level rather that the University, mostly because the CC is less than a mile from my house. I am however starting school in two weeks, working on my Master's Degree. In addition to this I have more than 30 CEU'S and 100's of hours in trainings via workshops and seminars.

I am a Mentor Teacher for the CECMP, a "lab school" if you will for students in the practicum phase of their college studies. Most recently I have been selected to develop and present workshops for the Director Mentor program.

I conduct Environmental Rating Scale Assessments for our local R&R and work as an independent consultant for Head Start as well.
I have had an article published by the CAEYC and presented workshops for them too.

So, I am MORE than qualified to be a TEACHER and am proud to present myself as such. And, MANY other providers have done as much or WAY MORE than I have...they deserve that TITLE as well. Yet, Joann'es, as well as a FEW others feel the feel they have the authority to define what a teacher is.

In the end, if it really mattered what Joanne's, you, and my favorite nemesis Nannyde (kidding ) thought, I'd be insulted And, in the end, Joanne’s can choose to exclude (here’s a term for you instead of teacher) Early Childhood Educators from receiving their small discount, and in the end Early Childhood Educator’s can choose to exclude Joanne’s from their list of stores to purchase supplies from.