View Single Post
SilverSabre25 09:28 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
What a great post....What is wrong? Discipline has totally been taken away from children. Everyone is so worried about hurting their feelings, telling them no, don't want to give them boundries, so many have construde discipline in to thinking it is child abuse, which in itself is asinine. The behaviors of todays kids are a direct result of poor parenting, and poor discipline. Not disciplining a child is just as bad a child abuse. When they took discipline out of the schools, then don't allow a daycare provider to discipline a child that is in their care for 10 hours 5 days a week. Seriously, what does society expect. And no, putting a child in time out for the minutes they are old is not discipline, it is laughable though. And redirecting, another laughable moment in my day.

Everything is given a crazy label. A child misbehaves, he is labeled so then he has an excuse for the bad behavior, instead of the parent stepping up and being a parent. It has been a rough day so far. I hear ya on misbehaved kids. ***. Is is 5 0'clock yet? Each year that passes, the situation gets worse.
Sooo....you feel that spanking is the only acceptable course of action for every single infraction a child can possibly commit? May I ask how you ever teach a child how they are supposed to behave? You do know that children aren't born perfect, right?

Redirection has its place. Time out has its place. Sure, they have to be used correctly and many people don't...apparently YOU don't. But if you took the time to open your mind and LEARN how to implement these techniques correctly, to learn to, perhaps, respect children, and understand children, and understand that children need to be TAUGHT not punished, maybe you would have better luck.

SOME of us never spank and have perfectly wonderfully behaved children. SOME of us happily find the labels that explain the misbehavior...and then work to get around the behavior within the context of the larger challenge.