View Single Post
Cat Herder 01:01 PM 11-03-2011
1.What type of education beyond highschool is needed to own your own daycare and how much does it cost on average?

Here, the minimum is TCC or CDA but a Degree in ECE is preferred. A State Orientation, Directors Training, Criminal Backgrounds test, ongoing annual training and quarterly unannounced visits are also required.

There are many States, however, that do not require any kind of training at all. I'd recommend researching your own States application process for specifics for your paper.

2. What is the starting salary, salary after 10 years, and salary after 20 years?

I started with tuition of $45 a week with 12 kids allowed, 1994 ($540). 10 years later I was charging $75 a week with 8 kids allowed, 2004 ($600). Now, 17 years later, I am charging $105 a week with 6 kids allowed, 2011 ($630). Do you see a trend?

The State keeps taking food from my family's hands by reducing the number of kids I can legally keep. They do this while requiring more and more supplies, services and education. Those are not free.

The area you live in sets the rate you can charge and still get clients, regardless of experience or education. Unfortunately, I am seeing people going back to 2004 rates in my area, currently.

Again, I'd recommend checking out your States website for their yearly report on average tuition. Take that number and multiply it by the maximum number of kids a provider is allowed to have. That will give you your general "ceiling".

Remember that payroll, supplies, mortgage, utilities, taxes, insurance, retirement etc. come OUT of that "ceiling".

3.What kind of retirement plans are there if any?

I have a Roth IRA.

4.Is there any heath care plans?

There are private insurance plans out there, but for most home providers it just is not financially possible. The premiums would be 1/3 of my income the last time I checked.

I am fortunate that I get mine through my husbands employer.

5.How many hours do you work a day on average? What is the environment like?

I work about 12 hours a day on average. It is loud, fast paced, requires constant movement, adaptation, physical lifting, bending, stooping, kneeling, non-stop cleaning, atrocious odors, exposure to illness, and you MUST smile through it all. And that is just the kids.

Dealing with parents is something out of a Stephen King novel some days. Even though I am available 50 hours a week I am expected to also make time for them "at their convenience" to conference. It can be very stressful if you don't develop a backbone QUICKLY.

Inspectors. In the middle of your work day, in your own home, a stranger comes in and disrupts your life, for hours, up to 6 times a year. They go through your bathroom, bedrooms, sheds, drawers and cabinets. It is degrading, exhausting and stressful. You never know when they are coming so you live your life in a "ready" state. It is mentally draining and makes me feel violated (not to mention my teens whose rooms are also invaded ).

6.Is there any wear and tear on the body and mind? Explain.

See above.

7.How well is your job security?

I am one of the fortunate ones that has had a wait list for as long as I can remember.

8.What are your opinions about the job (good and bad)?

My "JOB" would be awesome if outside forces would just let me do it.

It is all the extra stuff being dumped on me that is wearing me out. Assessing and documenting for developmental delays, having home health giving immunizations in my home while I have to hold the kids down, keeping portfolios of all their art work, etc. etc. etc.... These things were never part of my "JOB" before.

9.Do you wish you could do something else or are you happy with your career?

The sickest part of all of this is I love my job.

I miss the kids when I am on vacation. I look forward to buying art supples. I get excited when new toys arrive because I get to see their faces light up. I bawl like a baby when a parent brings me a Thank you gift out of the blue. I walk on air for weeks when I get a perfect inspection.

This job is the ONLY job that will allow me to earn an income, while being the wife and mother I set out to be. I love my life.