Thread: Processed Foods
View Single Post
Willow 09:37 AM 01-15-2013
I like the definition of, if it has something in it I can't pronounce it's processed.

There are lots of packaged foods that are just fine in my book as long as they don't have huge lists of ingredients I can't pronounce.

-Buying meat from local farmers is best (no or fewer antibiotics/drugs used in their raising, free range, natural or grass fed, no enhancements), buying packaged grocery store proteins would be second, something like frozen breaded chicken nuggets or frozen corndogs would be the worst.
-Baking your own bread is great, buying something like whole grain limited ingredient breads at the grocery store would be second, buying white Wonder bread would be worst.
-Fresh/raw fruit and veg is what you want to shoot for as long as you wash what you can well, obviously organic is best, frozen is second best (watch for additives), canned is by far the worst unless you are doing the canning yourself.

Sure it's all meat, or bread, or fruit and veg....but the level of processing is what matters in terms of what it can offer your body.

When BC talks about the wild rice, that usually comes bagged in some way shape or form. Technically it's processed, but the original state of the rice hasn't been altered so it's not. I am sure that's clear as mud lol

Boxed and bagged doesn't automatically equate to processed in the way it actually matters.

Here's more info:
http://health.amuchbetterway.com/how...rocessed-food/