View Single Post
Unregistered 04:38 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just read it too. To me if looks like they gave incorrect info by being way too brief. I didn't hear them mention side or tummy sleeping.
Maybe they were trying to improve on past stories they've done where some doc tells how to put babies asleep with a "5 S " system that includes swaddling combined with tummy or side sleeping! (Saw that when googling for further info.)
This is Dr Harvey Karp. His 5 S system is swaddle, side holding, schussing to mimic womb sounds, swing or sway ( gently in your arms) and sucking. The side or tummy recommendation is when you are holding an infant-not when the infant us lying down.

His technique is for infants typically under three months who cry uncontrollably for hours. He believes infants have a built in reflex that side holding triggers. Swaddling also mimics the womb. He has observed infants all over the world and in many places crying for hours and hours (called colic here) is unheard of so he began studying these cultures to see what was being done differently.

I've done the side holding and it worked instantly on a screaming infant....just like a reflex.