View Single Post
Lianne 03:44 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
where do the children do arts and crafts in your home set ups? I dont have a lot of space and I am worried about my kitchen table, walls ect getting drawn on. I was thinking about putting a vinyl table cloth on the floor and then let them do crafts there but then I worry about the younger ones <12m wanting to "play" too.
Organized art/craft activities are done at the kitchen table. I have an old table that the paint and glue washes off of easily. We still use placemats though and they help catch the worst of the mess. I'm hoping to buy some large cafeteria type trays and then all projects will be done in a tray. If you're worried about your table then put a plastic cloth over it. I would not have them on the floor because they could easily stand up and knock over paint/glue/glitter plus littles ones are not co-ordinated enough to keep their legs away from the mess. I like doing the crafts at the table because the kids are sitting at the table and can't/won't get down unless I okay it and their unruly arms and legs are out of the way...mostly, lol.

In my living room (aka daycare space) I have a child sized desk that has crayons, markers, pencils, stencils, colouring books and scrap/misprinted paper. I've only added the desk in June since my kids are a bit older now (2-5yrs) and I can, for the most part, trust the 2yr olds to use the desk and things properly.