Thread: Men in Daycare?
View Single Post
DreamBig 05:11 PM 10-06-2010
Personally, I have never worked with a male in a child care centre (but I haven't been working very long), but I do remember as a child having several male camp counselors and they were great. I think it would be great to have men working in child care centres (obviously they would need criminal checks and so forth) but I honestly don't see how a man could pose more of a threat than a women in child care. Just like there are some bad men out there, there are bad women too. To me a person's sex should have no baring on how good a person is, or how well they work with children.

As for a home daycare, again I think it's great that some husbands want to help out. I agree that they should look professional, etc. It would just add to that "family" feeling that home day cares have.

Having men can be excellent sources of positive role models for children, boys especially. Others mentioned how it is also great for children who don't have positive male figures in their lives. Children need to learn that regardless of what may have happened at home or in the past, there are men that can be trusted and confided in.

As for parents who are uneasy about this, well I can't say I have much of a perspective on that, as I do not have any children, but I don't see why males can make excellent teachers but not childcare workers.

That's just my opinion on it; I didn't mean for it to get so long.