View Single Post
kendallina 05:41 PM 05-20-2016
I agree with the PP who thought that your environment looks sterile. It's not just the all white that throws me off, it's also the materials chosen and lack of differing textures. It doesn't feel warm or cozy or like a place that I could be creative. Obviously, these are just my opinions and I'm just some random internet person. But, I do have a Master's in Human Development and have studied with several people who have visited the Reggio centers in Italy as we were considering adopting this philosophy for our centers.

A couple of suggestions:

It's clear that you would like your environment to reflect and really, be created by, the children. I understand this completely, but the lack of personality may be offputting to parents. Your center does NOT lack in history, so perhaps you could create a visual timeline of you and your partner's opening of the center. You could put this on the wall. It'd be great if you had pictures depicting your shopping trips/purchase of the building/late nights setting it up, etc.

Another way to create personality would be to have each child who does a tour create a piece of art that you could put on the wall and create a 'quilt' with

Have you had any open houses? It sounds like you've received a lot of press. I would invite city council members, school administrators, all parents that you've met with, etc.

I would consider adding some textures to your environment...baskets, pillows, rugs, even stuffed animals, big comfy chairs, etc. Perhaps items that refect the diversity of your neighborhood or city.

I also wonder about your materials. Obviously, we're only seeing a snippet of your center. Is there an art center (more than the easels)? I would love to see a picture of it. It seems like a lot of your materials are not very open ended or would inspire creativity. Do you have blocks and building materials? Do you have a sensory space?

Who typically does your tours? Do you and your partner have a sense for who is better at conducting interviews? What is your interview process like?

How many rooms do you have? How many children will be in each age group? Do you have an atelier?

I hope to hear from you, I would love to see you succeed, I'm a preschool person who was able to find a particular niche market in my town and love to see others' love for particular a particular aspect of early childhood.

I do love the simplicity of your space. It really is a blank canvas that will grow with your children, but I do think its difficult for parents to visualize what the space can become.