View Single Post
QualiTcare 07:23 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Nannyde summed it up! And she is correct that I cannot teach K-12 for the schools. I have all the MT requirements, as well as site supervisor requirements, with a total 0f 90 college units.

And, correct, it is not the same as a mentor teacher. To be a mentor teacher, I was asked by the local mentor program coordinator to apply. I then had to submit a detailed app, and had a FCCERS conducted on my program by the college. Then a selection comitte met and selected me to be a mentor for their practicum students.

BTW, I will be waiving my Bachelor requirements, based on credit for life experience and begin my Masters program in January at Pacific Oaks College. Then I'll be teaching at the college level.
there were a few girls who did practicum instead of student teaching which made noo sense to me bc it took the same amount of time. only difference is if you student teach, you can teach in the schools on top of anything childcare related. i asked one girl why she wasn't student teaching and she said she "just decided she didn't want to teach."

come to find out - they couldn't pass the Praxis exams required to student teach and then work as a teacher. now THAT makes sense.

i don't know anything about waiving requirements. i guess that would be possible for the Early Childhood Development degree without a teaching endorsement - that's what the practicum students do is spend time in childcare settings instead of student teaching and taking the final courses. then, i don't see how you would be able to teach at the college level though without ever working under a teacher.........who knows.