Thread: Reading in K
View Single Post
Unregistered 11:43 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think you should start calling yourself babysitters since you don't want to step up and support the kids in their learning as a professional would.

So basically you are there for wiping noses and bottoms, feeding them 2-3 meals and nothing else. Huh. Hope your parents know that when they sign up. And hope they aren't paying you squat to do so.

I would be embarrassed to tell my parents I wasn't trying to get their kids ready for school including any new standards that were sent our way.

How many hrs a week are they there with you? Doesnt anyone remember that the first 5 yrs are the most crucial in a kids life and every thing possible should be done to enhance their learning at this age. ???

BTW- I recieved our info on updated standards through a professional group I belong to that works in conjuntion with MDE to provide quality care to these little ones. And yes I work as an in-home provider however I do have my teaching license and get paid accordingly.
I don't think that a provider who doesn't teach the children in their care the academic material is no less a good provider than a provider who focuses on academics. This is why I feel this way. I think that children will be in school soon enough as it is and I would much rather work on the things like sharing, independence, learning patience, empathy and other things that don't get the same attention when the kids leave my house and head off to school.

I have no complaints from parents in regard to how I choose to spend my time with the kids here. My 3.5 year old dcg may not know how to read yet, but you know what she can do? She can share, listen, do things for herself, and she's a kind little girl.

That's what matters when they are young!