View Single Post
daycarediva 10:09 AM 08-21-2013
I voted direct sight/sound supervision. I am in NY. To clarify how I do things;

I have everyone sit outside the bathroom while I go potty on their tushes with a busy bag, someone moves and everyone else tattles. I have used this method DURING an inspection and my registrar loved it. Then the children take turns using the potty/I change diapers. The kids who are fully potty trained (almost all of mine) use the restroom alone, door cracked with me right outside the door.

I do not nap them in the same room as me during the summer/school breaks (my own SA children are home) but I do nap them in the same room when school is in session, so I have a separate nap room with a video monitor and do checks every 15m. Nap room is right off the play room so I can almost see everyone anyway. I have mostly 2+, youngest child I have accepted into care in the last 4 years was 18m, all on mats, all sound asleep before I leave the room.

I do allow my long time, very trustworthy, SA dcb to play with DS on the back deck in our fenced in yard (with no gate), or in DS's rooms with every 15m checks, per licensing regulations. I do NOT allow my young SA'er, as he cannot be trusted. I do this on a kid by kid basis. So far in 7 years, only 2 have ever been allowed out of my direct line of sight for other than restroom use.

My biggest issue is lunch prep, which takes under 15 minutes, the way my house is, I can't see the playroom from the kitchen. I have everyone go into the dining room (which I can see) and do gross motor activities or bring out a special game, or puzzles to keep them occupied and in line of sight.

I WILL NOT have anything preventable happen on my watch. I would NEVER forgive myself. I think of the regulations as the minimum requirements, and strive to meet or exceed them in all aspects.