View Single Post
AfterSchoolMom 08:29 AM 12-16-2009
I've had some openings come up (one of my families is moving) and I'm trying to fill some spots beginning in January. Apparently, the other home childcare provider in my immediate area is quitting in December and so all of her families are fighting over my spots. They're apparently all aware of this fact, judging by their comments to me. Now, here's my dilemma:

I met with one family, the children seemed lovely and well behaved, I had pretty much decided to accept them, since they were the first to contact me. Another Mom calls me and tells me that her child went to the same home for care as the first family and that they had a recurring problem with family number one bringing headlice into the home.

Now, I am COMPLETELY TERRIFIED of head lice. I've never had it, my own kids have never had it, and I am a bit OCD, so I'd probably have to burn my house down if we got it here (totally kidding, but you get how awful I find this idea). I obviously don't want to bring that into my house knowingly. On the other hand, Mom number two could be lying in order to get her own child into my home, or at least telling tales where she really shouldn't, and in that case, I don't want that kind of parent either. I don't have room for all of the kids, so it's one family or the other.

My third option is to avoid the drama and say no to all of them and forget it, but I really do need the money since I'm losing kids.

What do you all think? What would you do in my position?