View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I don't see it as selling myself short...

I see it as inconsiderate and disrespectful to actual Teachers.

Please Don't take this as an attack on you, it is not, since many childcare providers have started believing this in recent years.

I am not directing that at Childcare Providers who went through all the years of school, student teaching, paying student loans and hours of hard paperwork to achieve their teaching credentials. You have my utmost respect.

I promise most Teachers feel the same as I do.
I agree! I am one of those child care providers/babysitters/daycare ladies who have gone through the years of schooling, devoted hours to class time, inter hours and homework as well as added heavily to my debt load to achieve my teaching credentials. However, I am currently working in the child care field as a home based child care provider.

I know my child care children learn things from me as they learn from their parents, but I do not consider myself a "teacher" that deserves the title no more than I deserve to be called a nurse because I am fairly experienced in figuring out when someone has a cold, cough, ear infection, rash, chicken pox, head lice, hives, eczema or the other myriad of childhood illnesses we deal with every day, as well as giving nebulizers, checking DH's blood pressure and dispensing insulin shots to a 6 year old diabetic...kwim?

If I choose to earn the degree and work in the field of nursing then I could be called a nurse. I earned the teaching degree BUT do not choose at this time to work in the field. That is my personal opinion on how I differentiate the two very different but somewhat similar roles of childcare provider/teacher.

I know this thread shows "symptoms" of being one of those hot button topics so I am out, but just wanted to state how I felt about it. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one's carries more weight than anothers.