Thread: Sharing
View Single Post
Kabob 06:03 AM 09-20-2013
So I tried searching on this but haven't much luck finding relevant results...

Anyway, I have a new dcg that is 2 yrs old. She is great except for a sharing issue. Mind you, I know this is to be expected but it leads to a lot of trouble here in daycare. In this case, she claims everything as hers and will literally stockpile toys for herself. If the other kids try to join in playing with her, she will scream "no" or "mine" and melt down. If she moves on to another toy and someone picks up a toy she previously played with, she will run across the room screaming "mine" and snatch it away and melt down crying when I intervene. She is very much about asserting control. If I try to explain that we share at daycare or we take turns she will repeatedly say no before I get the words out. If I show her how to share or wait she will scream. If I offer her a new toy or toy that is exactly the same as the one she wants she will say no. If I give that toy a time out she melts down. I offer understanding and choices but invariably she escalates to crying. Is there anything I can do to make it easier for her to understand that daycare toys get used by everyone? I don't necessarily expect her to share from day 1, but at least allow the other kids to play without her constantly screaming at them for touching something she played with 2 hours ago. She has been in other daycares since she was a baby and she is very verbal so I'm hoping she is just adjusting. What can I do to help her feel less like she needs to fight for everything?