View Single Post
Nickel 07:01 PM 10-30-2012
I definitely think giving him clear concise directions is the way to go. it may seem like a lot of work now but it will get better. I would also change it up in that he isn't ALWAYS doing dishes or ALWAYS cleaning, unless that is actually what you hired him to do. For instance, you can say something like,

On Tues or Thurs, or if I (meaning you) are interacting with the children you (assistant) need to clean xyz. If I (you) are cleaning up you (assistant) can play a game with the kids. And spell out what xyz means and what games are acceptable or not.

This way you don't have to ask him to do every single detail. I worked at a job once, not daycare related, where I had to wait for directions from my boss over every little thing. It was interesting when i actually had work to do but otherwise It was the most boring job ever. And I was actually making decent money but most days I woudl sit and surf the wed or twiddle my thumbs. Needless to say, I only stayed there 4 months before I found another job. I hate sitting and doing nothing all day long.

But he probably isn't doing anything because he feels a little overwhelmed. You probably are making everyting look easy and he doesn't know how to start or jump in. Maybe make up a little handbook of things he can do with the children.

You can of course ask him to do other things as well throughout the day that aren't on his list such as, can you please read a story to the children while I get started on diapers, etc???

I just remember my experience when I started at a daycare center. We had a lead teacher, an assistant, and me (assistant). They had a routine down pat and I always felt like I was just standing there and didn't know where to begin. Eventually I joined in, but it took a while of, please do this, please do that. Usually we do things like this... Would you like to start diapers or read a book? Do you want to serve lunch or clean up, etc....

Give him some time to learn the ropes and I bet soon he will do things without being asked or reminded. He sounds like a very sweet kid, and he also sounds like he is trying to please you. Win Win situation for you!!!