View Single Post
Heidi 10:37 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Thank you all for your well wishes! Although if I could do anything to bring him back I would, I can't imagine who I would be today not going through it all.

I guess my point is that all accidents are preventable. In my case, Dad could have checked the door, he could of overturned the bucket of water, he could have taken baby upstairs with him, he could have left him in his high chair, he could have dropped him in his pack n play, he could have changed the 2 yr old downstairs.

I also agree that every case should be investigated and all the details taken into consideration.

In this case I dont feel like I have enough information to pass judgement on the mom that she should be held criminaly liable. Even with her reading the magazine. After I got to hear all the details, I may change my mind and say it was negligent and deserves additional punishment. Just can't form one on the information given. You just never know with news these days how they spin articles either.

Some of these stories are funny now because nothing happened. The ones where something does clearly aren't. I guess I'm just saying, anything can happen, and we should count our blessings every day!
Don't get me wrong I am not saying that all accidents should just be summed up as accidents either.

Just after all my experiences, I decided to refuse to pass judgement.

My major issue with these types of situations is that families/society want to see people "pay" and want "justice" to be served. My opinion regarless of what the circumstances or who was at fault whether it be a friend/ DC provider/ parent who was responsible, There is no justice when a child dies, ever. Accident or otherwise. Someone paying for the loss of my son, doesnt make my pain or the loss any less.
Unfortunately, these things do happen quite often. We can only be as careful as we can. Tired parents leave their sleeping infant in the car instead of going to daycare. Not that many years ago, a young couple raced their fevered toddler to the E.R, and because she was so miserable, mom took her on her lap and held her. Someone ran into them, and the child died. They prosected the parents. I'm not sure I agree. Of course, she should have been in a carseat, but I can understand a young couple thinking it would be ok just this once when she was inconsolable.

My ex and I once found our friend's toddler on top of a stack of oil cans at a big-box store. They were around the corner, and we just happened on the scene. They had parked the cart right next to the stack, and he just scaled it! It could easily have been a tragedy! My own sons decided once it was a GREAT idea to make an enormous hole in the sand (by our lake house) and climb in. They were 11 & 13 at the time. With just the right conditions, it could have been a disaster. Gosh, for that matter, I am suprised my husband or I survived our childhood sometimes. He screamed around on mini bikes at 9, sans helmet. I once pulled the door open in a taxi cab in Germany as a toddler (in the days before carseats), and held on for dear life as we went around a corner. My mom said she saw the cab driver age ten years right before her eyes. Vacations used to be they'd throw you in the back seat, toss a sausage back there, and take off. Seat belts? Heck, we used to lay in the back of the station wagon and "camp" the whole way!