View Single Post
childcaremom 01:04 PM 05-17-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
My kids (4's & 5's) just don't want to play outside. They need a drink, they need to potty, they want to watch TV, they want to lay down and rest, it's too hot, it's too cold (it's a beautiful day), there are bugs outside, they want to play in the toy room, they want to play with inside toys. I have sent them back outdoors at least 15 times in the last 55 minutes. I'm cleaning up from lunch and prepping snack-they're outdoors and whining that I won't let them play inside (run around and scream and wake up my nappers).

I have tons of toys outdoors, I've tried setting up activities and games. I've tried directing and participating in games with them. All they want to do is wander around aimlessly complaining that they want to be in the house. My own son, 4, has been bawling because no one wants to play outside with him. I have one, nearly 5, who has been like this his entire life-he used to stand at the backdoor when we were outside, clawing on the door and screaming inside, inside.

Is it just my kids? Does anyone else have kids who act like the outdoors is a punishment? There are at least 20 different things they could be doing out there right now, and no one is interested.
I had one like this. He was coming from a heavy tv environment. I offered some suggestions on what to do and then actively ignored. It took almost a month but he finally figured out how to play and then started to enjoy outside time.

The last 2 months he was here were awful. Back to complaining, lying around, etc. Guess what? Mom increased his screen time.

I actively ignored. There was no option but to stay outside. He could choose to enjoy it or not. Pouting and whining were redirected to the farthest spot from me and he could rejoin me when he was ready to use a big boy voice. A loooong 2 months.

The rest of my kids can play and love outside time.