View Single Post
Familycare71 08:09 AM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The fasted way to be strong in your business (have a backbone) is to recognize, realize and fully understand that child care is a business.

It isn't a social contest about making friends.

YES, you DO get friendly with the families you enroll. You get personal and know them very well but first and foremost, they are clients. They purchase a service you offer. You do NOT work for them.

Set your rules. Enforce them (with a smile) and do not negotiate with families due to their personal circumstances. You WILL hear all sorts of reasons, stories and examples of why a parent can't pay you etc but you HAVE to stick to and enforce your policies because bottom line is, if you don't why should they?

Once you give someone a break or a bit of leaway, that will become expected and it will be hard to stop doing it.

Some providers are very family orientated and love taking in their clients as extended family members. That is a good way to do things but the line between business and personal can be blurred easily so tread carefully if you choose to do things that way.

Other providers choose to be business ONLY and are very separate between personal and business aspects. That is a good way to do things too but there are a lot of elements you miss out on that way if that line between business and personal is too rigid.

Which way you go HIGHLY depends on what YOU want and what type of person you are.

I am 100% business. The separation between my business life and my personal life is very clear.

There is NO one right or wrong way to do child care. You simply have to decide what things are important to you and then stick to your goals and visions.

Hang around here, ask lots of questions (you'll get feedback from ALL angles) and read a lot of older threads too...there is a vast wealth of knowledge here and as long as you remember that you will always need to do what's right for you.....you'll be fine.