View Single Post
daycare 05:26 PM 09-05-2012
i think I had your twin some time ago....this kid wants attention and is doing anything to get it both good and bad..I think you know that already

What I did with this child was I made up several trays (pic attached) of age appropriate activities. I had to learn to catch the bad behavior before it started and when I saw it coming, I would intervene and cut him off. I would take his hand and direct him to the trays. I would ask him to choose just one activity that he wanted to do. If he got bored with it, he cleaned it up and put it away before getting another.

I think the key here is learning to catch it before it happens. I know this sounds crazy, but this is what I found to be the cure. Once you are able to do that, then you can direct the child to whatever you want them to do.

Also, sometimes a child jsut needs a breather. timeout does not have to be seen as such a punishment. You can tell the kid, hey johnny I see that you are upset. why don't you come sit by me and chill out for a few minutes. Let the child collect themselves before moving on. Ask them if they feel better and go from there.

I use a thinking mat. I also offer the power of decision.

would you like to sit and eat your food or would you like to go to time out...I would say this to a child who is displaying bad behavior at the table....... let them decide....